[VHFcontesting] First DX on 2 Meters!

To: "VHF List" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "VHF List Non-Contest" <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] First DX on 2 Meters!
From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 12:16:50 -0500
A chaotic work schedule has resulted in a string of 20 hour + days, and
sleeping through most of the tropo opening here in the Southeast. Today, I was
determined to change my fortunes, and set several alarm clocks for 6AM Central
time, after going to be bed at 2AM.

Still managed to sleep through them, but woke at 7AM. Rushed to the shack,
glanced at the APRS map, and began spinning the dials. Heard several loud
station in Texas in a group on .230, and called them during their first break.

What followed was a three hour long spree of tropo DX, bagging 10 new grids,
bringing my total to 87 grids worked on 2 Meters with the indoor antenna. Many
stations were loud, literally speaker quality and then some.

When K5RUS asked me to run the bands, I really started to regret moving my
222-1296 gear to the rover set-up. I literally had nothing up that I could get
on the higher bands. Drats! I decided just to focus on 2 Meters, and not worry
about what I might be missing on 222 and up.

The highlight had to be when a weak station called me...I struggled to make out
his callsign---and then clearly heard XE20R in DL98. Raf was actually calling
me! WOW!

We worked, and I nearly had to pinch myself. DX on 2 Meters with a 6 element
antenna inside the attic. And it wasn't even via Sporadic E's.

Thanks to all the patient stations who pulled me out of the noise today. You
can't image what a 10 grid day means to someone who is used to logging perhaps
one new grid every month or two. It's like Christmas at Easter Time.

13 Grids and counting for VUCC on 2 Meters!

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf
Grid Bandit #222