[VHFcontesting] VUCC #1,712 On Indoor Antennas

To: "VHF List Non-Contest" <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>, "VHF Contesting List" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] VUCC #1,712 On Indoor Antennas
From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 01:20:50 -0500
The US Postal Service delivered a welcome surprise in today's mail. A beautiful
certificate from the ARRL for 6 Meter VUCC # 1,712. I don't think I've been
that excited to open something since Christmas morning 1966, when Santa brought
 me Major Matt Mason, his Space Station, and Moon Crawler!

I made my first VHF+ contact in December of 2008 on 2 Meter SSB, using a four
element Yagi that was mounted in that attic in my deed restricted home. After
another afternoon of struggling to work a net on 80 Meters using the disguised
antennas in my backyard, I thought maybe I could finally try weak signal VHF
stuff. The antenna was already mounted on a small rotor, and I used it for ARES
work on distant repeaters. A quick flip turned it "Horizontal" and that was
that.

That brief contact started a passion for a whole new area of amateur radio,
after being licensed for decades. I'd always been into "weak signals" but spent
most of my time on 160 Meter CW, and doing cutting edge homebrew stuff on the
1750 Meter "Lowfer" band.

My only VHF experience had been serious TV DXing, but it was nothing like this!

Despite the handicap of indoor antennas, I was lucky to find a group of VHF Men
who took me under their wings, and encouraged my interest. Jimmy Long, W4ZRZ
has done more than anyone could ask of an Elmer or a friend. Patient, generous,
and encouraging. He's also not beyond giving you a quick kick in the pants if
your efforts are slacking. Thank you Jimmy!

Jack, WA5UUD answered an unending series of stupid questions, and made an
effort to alert me to every band opening on 6 &2 since. I wouldn't be able to
work out beyond 50 miles without the help Jack has provided.

Marshall Williams, K5QE has really encouraged my efforts on all fronts, and
helped me optimize my rover station this year. Still a thrill for me to even
hear the Mighty K5QE on these indoor sticks! Thank you Marshall.

David Hines, N3ZBK handled my QSL chores when work started to overwhelm me,
allowing me to complete the first band in my quest. He's also become my new EME
guru, trying to get me started on a new adventure.

Bill, AF4OD, the SE Rover King-has donated microwave gear for my efforts, took
me to his secret "sweet spots", and encouraged me to get out of the house and
try my hand at roving. Neil, N4ION donated gear to get me started on 222---and
now it's my favorite band! Thanks Neil for introducing me to the "Forgotten
Band". Sean at the ARRL who encouraged me to become addicted to VHF Contesting
(Like any good narcotics dealer, the first one is always free!)

JD, N0IRS and the "Grid Bandits" who took me under their wing. How cool is it
to be Grid Bandit #222! Bill Olson, K1DY who has tried patiently to explain
antennas to the village idiot. Thanks, Bill for all you've done too. Ben, K4QF
who taught me the three rules of VHF, "Be On. Be Horizontal. Be Loud." Or has
he likes to add, "In your case, two out three ain't bad".

Judge Van Deacon & The gang at the Ocoee Amateur Radio Club from my hometown of
Cleveland, TN who stopped their contest efforts to help repair my rover in the
rain last year. You guys rock! Marcus, KF4YHP, who helped engineer the rover
antenna system, and kept my spirits up when I got down on the handicap of
indoor antennas.

Gene, W3ZZ has challenged me and chided me too on occasion...thanks for your
patience and inspiration Gene. The gang on "Ping Jockey" for giving me the
thrill of working the "Rox" which became my secret weapon. And all the VHF Men
on these lists who have endured my endless stories, mindless questions, and
often ill informed opinions. I've learned so much from you all!

Lastly, I have to thank two really special people. Rex, W5RCI, who told me only
days before he fell ill that my 222 signal was so loud, he might consider
passing the mantle of "Mr. 222" on to me. What a thrill it was to work him on
CW on 432 and 1.2 Ghz. It's not often one gets a chance to play baseball with a
Hank Aaron, or Babe Ruth, but I can truly say that I worked the legend. Rex is
still missed every morning here on .200.

And my XYL, Abby Rayburn, who has endured being a ham's wife for 28 years.
She's also been my faithful rover partner, designed and built a custom PVC rack
for my rover, and generally encouraged me to follow this silly dream. I love
you, Miss Abby...

I'm proudest of all that I confirmed 121 grids for the award, and 112 of those
were made using only the indoor antenna. My initial goal is complete...but the
journey has just become. I still want VUCC on 2, 222, 432, 902, 1.2 GHz, and
maybe even higher.

Listen, I know I'm rambling on---but I can't help it. I'm excited, and
thrilled---and just damn proud to be one of you, the Lords of Light, a VHF Man.
I've said it before, but it bears repeating:

I wasted almost 40 years on HF. All the fun truly is in the "World Above 50
Mhz". My sincere thanks to all who have helped along the way, and strained
their ears to copy this weak, indoor signal. I'm forever in your debt.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf
VUCC 6M # 1,712