Re: [VHFcontesting] Update on the VHF components of the new ARRL Web Sit

To: VHF Contesting List <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Update on the VHF components of the new ARRL Web Site
From: Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 13:34:53 -0500
On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 19:49, Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO <w5wvo@cybermesa.net> wrote:

> don't work for free. Is the League getting its money's worth out of these
> consultants? I personally tend to doubt it, but of course I could be dead
> wrong.

I don't think you're wrong - I've looked at the website and it's a
mess.  Never mind that many items are simply AWOL, the overall design
is just bad.  Must I click "read more" after I click on something of
interest?  By clicking on the link in the first place, shouldn't it be
obvious that I want to read more?  And what's with those huge margins?

No, you're not dead wrong.  I've heard the contract with (I can't)
Fathom (your design) was in the 6-figure range.  Money down the drain,
IMHO.  I'm sure there's nothing actionable though, as I'm sure they
fulfilled every part of their contract.  Sadly, the HQ brass-pounders
on the other side of that contract had no clue what to ask for.

Someone in the thread mentioned raising dues to pay for more spectrum
defense.  First, let me say that as a life member, I don't care what
y'all do with the dues.  :-P  But if you're serious about spectrum
defense, and you should be, then you can donate right now to the
Spectrum Defense Fund.  You can go right here:
http://www.arrl.org/spectrum-defense-fund    and donate online.

Oh, wait, no you can't donate online.  How great is that?  You have to
call.  At your expense.  :-)