[VHFcontesting] Fiery end to UHF Contest at KK6MC/r

To: vhf contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, RMVHF Plus <rmvhf@rmvhf.org>, nmcontest@yahoogroups.com, Undisclosed-recipients: <>;
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Fiery end to UHF Contest at KK6MC/r
From: James Duffey <jamesduffey@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 21:54:04 -0600
After a modest rove and moderate success in the ARRL UHF contest, including
more 1296 MHz contacts than I have ever made in a contest, my 2003 Subaru
Outback used to house the rover caught fire south of Truth or Consequences on
return to Cedar Crest. It is pretty much a total lost.

I was able to get my radios and other valuables out of the car before the fire
really took off, but as I watched it burn I realized that I had not retrieved
my contest logs. I was angriest then at the thought of an entire weekend's
effort going for naught. But the logs survived, and although a bit soggy can be
processed.

The fire was pretty much confined to the engine compartment. I am safe and
uninjured. Several of the volunteer fireman were hams and were interested in
the antennas.

I will summarize the contest in a later e-mail.

I am happy to be unscathed, but now I have to deal with two of the worst
processes in the World, filing an insurance claim and buying a car. - Duffey
--
James Duffey KK6MC
DM65tc