Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover radio ideas?

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover radio ideas?
From: Dan Evans <dan.evans@insightbb.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 17:50:52 -0400
  Hi Bob!

All of the rigs you mentioned will work, of course.  I used a 746, way
back then, with a couple of transverters for 222 & 432.  Worked great,
but takes up a lot of room:-)

Currently, I'm using an FT897D, with amps for 2 & 432.   At least I will
be, if I ever get my truck fixed....

With the small rigs, you will need to add a transverter for 222 at some
point.  I have an HTX-100 that I have been saving to dedicate to the
transverter.

You will have to make some decisions about your operating style to
answer the antenna question.  If you plan to work in motion, then you
will likely need to lean towards loops.   If you "stop and shoot" like
my setup, then you may be able to use bigger yagis.   Just try to make
your setup as easy as possible.   Excessive time [and work!] setting up
at each grid really takes away a lot of the fun.

And most importantly, have fun!

If there is anything I can help with, just drop me a line.

Are you going to Bedford this year?  Not sure yet if I will make it...

73
Dan
--
You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out!
Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el