Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover radio ideas?

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover radio ideas?
From: "Bruce Richardson" <w9fz@w9fz.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 18:40:39 -0400
I've missed most of the thread, but I have to bring up:

For the right person/station, a Yeasu FT-897 should be considered. You get
100w on 6 and 2, I forget how much on 432.  And if you follow the two
articles by W0ZQ in the Central States Proceedings, you can put a DEM 222
xverter in the battery bay (and linked to the 28MHz IF).  It uses a 25w
module on 222. So you get good basic power on the bottom four bands.

If someone wants the .pdf's of the CSVHFS proceedings articles by W0ZQ,
just let me know. I'll get his permission and then send them along.

I've been a BIG fan of Kenwood TR-751's, but with the deteriorating
volumen pots, it's time to transition to other options.  I'll be adapting
to the FT-897 soon. In my case, I will probably keep the power potted down
low on the FT-897 and go ahead and drive brick amplifiers. I guess the
choice is "where do I want to generate heat"--in the FT-897 or outboard.
I mean the diff from 100w to 160w on 6m is what, 1db?  But I'd like all
the circuits to loaf if they can.

73
Bruce Richardson W9FZ