Re: [VHFcontesting] FLEX-1500 SDR Platform

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] FLEX-1500 SDR Platform
From: Stu2 <stu@stu2.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 20:01:58 -0500
We (W4IY) used the Flex 1500 and 5000A for the ARRL VHF/UHF contests on
432 and 222 with Elecraft transverters, solid state amps and mast
mounted preamps. The biggest challenge was converting to a radio without
a knob, but the panadapter more than makes up for it. The 1500
panadapter was just wide enough to capture those off-frequency signals.
Several times, I was able to tailgate a sked because I saw a signal pop
up. The 5000A was even better because I could watch the CW portion of
the band on 432, too.

An external Winkey was a must. I was able to work around the sequencer
issues on the 1500 and can go into more detail with you off line. I
think the discussion thread is on the Flex web site and in their mailing
list archives.

Here is a copy of our Sept configuration:
http://www.stu2.net/wiki/index.php/VHF_Contests#440_Station

We integrated the N1MM voice keyer using VAC, which worked well. The
recorded audio is sourced from the Flex 'monitor' so it's kind of weird
trying to record your callsign and exchange because of the delay. Once
that's done, you can save the files for next year. No big deal.

For next June, I think we're going to try the 1500 on both 220 and 432
as part of a simplification/standardization effort. The 1500 with a
Powerwerx supply is a pretty nice package.

All in all - I'm very happy with the Flex as VHF/UHF IF. I think our
operators are starting to like it, too.

Stu2
W7IY