[VHFcontesting] Spend a minute, save a band...

To: "SVHFSList" <svhfslist@svhfs.org>, "VHF Contesting Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Spend a minute, save a band...
From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 13:28:59 -0600
If you haven't already done so, please take a minute to write your
Congressman to oppose H.R. 607, the Broadband for First Responder's Act. The
ARRL makes it easy with a form-letter, and a lobbyist firm who will hand
deliver the letters in batches to your representative. While I know this
approach is effective, I'm one of those guys who writes my Senators and
Congressman several times per year on various issues. So I think it's also
important to write a more personal letter or call their office.

This bill directly threatens the 432 Mhz band, and it's vital that VHF Men
take the lead in defending our turf. Don't depend on the ARRL or others to
do it for you...take a few minutes and write a letter, send an e-mail, fax,
or call them on the phone. I wrote two letters, sent an e-mail and made a
phone call to talk to a staffer here in Birmingham. Whole process took less
than 1/2 hour, but I guarantee you that Congressman Bachus has been
informed.

I pointed out the role that amateur radio plays in SKYWARN, and our use of
440 Mhz repeaters to help protect citizens in his district. We have severe
weather threatening tonight, and hams are deploying to the NWS, local EMA
offices, etc. to volunteer their time and equipment. That point was not lost
on the staffer I spoke to in Birmingham.

Please take a few moments to let your voice be heard. Here is the link:

http://www.arrl.org/sample-letters

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf