Re: [VHFcontesting] Advice for new VHF Logging Software

To: "Tom Mayo" <tmayo6@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Advice for new VHF Logging Software
From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 02:39:28 -0500
Tom,

I didn't mean for my remarks to sound critical, and I apologize if they did.
I used RoverLog for several contests, when I was an active rover. I enjoyed
many of the features (especially the ability to decode GPS receiver data to
automatically fill my grid square)

What I did find daunting was the complexity of configuring the software.
While there are some users that I'm sure can't live without the ability of
the software to control band selection, point the rotor, etc. the vast
majority of users for any VHF software are not going to be running anything
that complex. For me, I found a lot of the additional features to be
confusing, and simply made the software more difficult to configure.

There are a lot of negatives to Scott's (N3FJP) software, but the user
interface is second to none. You can literally learn to use the software in
minutes, and it's simplicity is it's strength. I'd highly encourage other
software developers to follow that lead. Most VHF Men use very similar set
ups, transverters, brick amps, and manual switching to get from band to
band. I only know a handful who use computer controlled rotors.

Perhaps a "RoverLog Light" would make sense. Something that retained the
essential features, but dropped everything else. A setup wizard that allowed
you to select your "type" of VHF operation from some broad choices would
also be great. I'll be happy to test any mods that you make, and offer
feedback.

For those considering RoverLog, let me close with some very positive
attributes. I've never used any software that was faster and easier to "run
the bands" with. If you make a mistake, it can be corrected with two
keystrokes. It also does a masterful job with partials callsigns, helping
you to avoid duplicates, and generating finished cab files for contests.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf
121 Mayfair Park