Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] RE: ARRL creates "shack-on-ur-belt" contesting

To: les@highnoonfilm.com, JAMES FRENCH <w8iss@wideopenwest.com>, VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] RE: ARRL creates "shack-on-ur-belt" contesting
From: Kos <skos@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 09:53:32 -0700 (PDT)
At the Southeast VHF Society this past weekend, this topic came up for
discussion as part of the VUAC forum. The informal response of attendees
indicated general approval of the change, and I believe most people recognized
this as a good way to draw FM users into the contesting and begin their
exposure
to weak signal modes.

As a result, the SVHFS will investigate amending the Fall Sprint rules to
provide for an FM category this year, based on what we will be able to support,
even though the ARRL rule changes won't take effect until next year. While the
specifics still need to be worked out, we will be publishing our dates for the
Fall Sprints somewhat earlier this year in order to set some "target" dates for
those who might want to work with some of the FM folks to get them enthused and
geared up.

We'll also be publishing some FAQs and provide some other aids for those folks
when we get the rules up and posted. I think it's important for us to get out
there and promote contesting among repeater and general ham radio clubs as
previously stated by others, and draw them to the next level.

Kos, N4NIA