[VHFcontesting] The Real Reason the "NO .52" rule exists & something to

To: "John V" <vjohnv@cox.net>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] The Real Reason the "NO .52" rule exists & something to ponder...
From: "Tim Marek" <K7XC@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 16:36:53 -0000
Not many know the reason for the "NO .52 Rule" in VHF Contesting...

A very "Infamous" West Coast VHF Contester told me the reason
long ago and whle I'll leave him and him crew anonymous, the story
is simply to delicious not to pass on...

Back in the day of when all things electronic used "Glow FETs" (Tubes)
he and his gang operated the June VHF Contest from atop a very tall
and equally "Infamous" Mountain in the Bay Area of Northern CA.

They had in their posession a 1KW Motorola FM transciever crystaled
up on... you guessed it... 146.52 as it was legal then.

They were so loud and heard so well they made hundreds of Qs all up
and down CA and the surounding states and ended up never fired up
the SSB gear.

Having known the man a long time & after seeing his pics from
those days of lore...  I believe him.

Is what they did wrong? I dont think so... They saw a advantage that
at the time was within the rules of the competition and exploited it for
all it was worth. That is what winners do... look for a edge and use it.

However... The outcry from many who were not on top of that hill was
huge and later that year the ARRL created the"NO .52" rule in response.
Move the clock forward 50 years and we are now rethinking letting
.52 be legal again beacuse of a new "FM ONLY" category?

If we are going to revisit this, why not right the injustice of what was
done to the ROVER category 20 years ago and revert back to the
original ROVER rules as well !?!?!?!?!

AHHHH... that got you thinking didn;'t it! I can hear the screams
now... Why doesnt he let that go? That is not the same!, etc etc....

I submit to you the following.... The current rules are what they
are based on all that has transpired before. As they are now,
while not perfect... THEY WORK!

What is the old adage? "IF IT AINT BROKE, DONT FIX IT!!

Leave the "NO.52" rule alone!!!!

Solve the issue with education as to what frequencies should be
used... Start a PR campain NOW to spread the word thru the
clubs encouraging people to use their FM rigs WITHIN THE
EXISTING RULES!

Print up and supply handouts to Amateur Radio Stores/Clubs
with the sale of each new FM rtadio explaining about the huge
VHF Activity weekends in Jan, June, July, Aug, And Sep...

LEAVE THE DAMN RULES ALONE! ENUF ALEADY!

73s de Tim - K7XC - DM09nm... sk