Re: [VHFcontesting] Contest logging program

To: "Marshall-K5QE" <k5qe@k5qe.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Contest logging program
From: "Steve Tripp \(K1IIG\)" <stephen.tripp@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 17:54:15 -0400
Marshall,

Thanks for the in depth response to Ken and it solved one of my interests in trying it out. I tried it years ago and found it to be more than what I wanted to deal with and gave up yet many use it on HF/VHF. I ended up with the W3KM very simple logger being an SOP. I can not imagine chasing databases over a network unless you have network experience. Right now I think I will stay with VHF logger by W3KM which focuses on VHF contesting. I do have a purchased copy of N3FJP and will see if it now has more of the VHF contests. Hope Tom, N1MM a local, doesn't subscribe to this reflector..hihi

Hope to catch you again on the 6m sprint, big signal in CT when band opens.

73's
Steve
Hf-3ghz

Hello All....we used the N1MM logging program for our DXpedition to DL88. Worked fine as we were a single user on a single computer. The window for the packet cluster was very nice. HOWEVER, I have seen someone spend hours trying to get the Multi-User thing working right. If you can get the setup right and the thing actually works, DON'T EVER CHANGE ANYTHING.

In my opinion, it is a very poor Multi-User program. In an IP network, all the computers(nodes) must have a unique IP address. It would seem that fact should be enough, but it is not. It does not seem to know much of anything in a network. You have to assign it names for all the computers. Heaven help you if you later change them or give the same name to another computer. The names that you assign to each computer do not seem to be related at all to the name that you must assign each computer when you load Windows. I may be wrong here, but I think that you can have a computer with the name BIGBOX1 in N1MM and a completely different computer assigned the name BIGBOX1 as its Windows name.....AAAAAAaaaaaaRGH. I am not sure what other information you have to provide.

I also have issues with how N1MM handles its databases. Note I said databases, since it seems to keep one on each computer. Somehow, it supposedly synchronizes all of this mess together. I have seen the results when one computer in a network goes down for a while. Sometimes, it can be re-synchronized....sometimes not.

When there is something wrong, N1MM will spend (almost) all its time putting error messages on the remaining computers. You can have a good run going and you start getting these incessant error messages. Of course, when one of the error message comes up, it "breaks right in" and what you were typing is suspended. So you get WA7 typed into the data entry area and then you have to deal with a stupid error message. Well, by the time that you deal with the error and get back to doing data entry in the window, you have lost a lot of time. Just about the time that you get the contact typed in properly and are ready to hit ENTER, the silly error message comes back again!!!

I used to be a Database Programmer in another life and another galaxy far, far away. I wrote multi-user database management programs consisting of literally hundreds of menus, programs, and modules that all worked perfectly in a Novell network. The unbreakable rule of database management was that you should have ONE copy of every database and everyone should read and write to that one copy. This prevented having several copies of a database, scattered all around, and all different with no way to get them straight. Immediately, some database guru is going to jump up and say that the above is "old hat" and that no one does it that way anymore. OK, Fine!

On the other side of the coin, N1MM is used in the Multi-Multi network version in a lot of places. It must be a basically workable system, after you get the setup right. So it can be made to work.

I use the N3FJP Network version for all my VHF contest logging. You only have to tell that program where the database is located(using the Microsoft notation) and everything immediately works. I would bet that you could Map a drive letter(say V:) to the location of the data base and then tell all the other computers that the database was located at V:{database name} and the program would work. I have not tried this, but I do believe it would work. Since I don't do HF contesting, I have no experience with the HF programs available in the N3FJP suite.

Contest logging programs seem to be like cars. Some love the Prius, some hate it. Some like Corvettes others can't get into the cockpit. You pays your money and you takes your chances(and yes, I know N1MM is free). Your mileage may vary.....whatever.....

73 Marshall K5QE