Re: [VHFcontesting] FM Contesting-Going Further

Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] FM Contesting-Going Further
From: Marshall-K5QE <k5qe@k5qe.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 22:23:23 -0600
Hello Les and everyone else....I was the one the proposed the Simple Rover Class. It was to be 6M, 2M, and 432 only. The VUAC did not like my name and called it the Limited Rover Class....well that is OK, it sort of goes along with other class names that they have. I did not care about the name anyway.....it was the CONCEPT that was important. Somehow, there were members on the VUAC that just INSISTED that 222 be put in there.

I tried to explain that Johnny Joe706pack would not go out with 6M, 2M, and 432 if he knew that there would be people out there with those bands AND 222. He would understand immediately that he had no chance since the rovers with 222 would rack up 8, 10, or more extra multipliers. The VUAC still insisted that 222 needed to be there. And, sure enough, the number of Limited Rovers is low....in fact, the number of such rovers is VERY low compared to the number of guys that have an IC706, and IC7000, a Yaesu 895D or 897D, or other such rigs. There are literally thousands of those out there.....there certainly are not thousands of Limited Rovers.

Adding a 3-band class to the Rover category is just an added complication, that further splits up the entries. The Limited Rover class should be 6M, 2M, and 432 only. However, getting the VUAC to admit that they made a mistake here is almost assuredly an impossible task. No one wants to admit that they were wrong. IF the Limited Rover class were to be re-defined as 6M, 2M, and 432 with the power limits being set at 100W, 50W, and 35W then anyone with one of the above rigs would be able to slap a couple of loop antennas on the top of their car with mag mounts and go out to rove. We would all benefit from a lot more rovers out, even if they are "simple rovers". Simple is what the VHF rookies need. Everyone would be on the same footing....band wise and power wise. It would be a very fair class....and people would know that it was fair. No 8877s in the mobile ambulance van and no "extra band". Just everyone out with the same gear and power levels.

This is another one where continued lobbying from members all around the country might fix this problem.....

73 Marshall K5QE