[VHFcontesting] FM Contesting-Going Further

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] FM Contesting-Going Further
From: Les Rayburn <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 19:48:15 -0600
Some encouraging news and discussion here regarding the new "FM Only" Category. Also very interested in the "Three-Band" Category which also looks like a winner.

Going the next step, I've seen several good ideas here:

1.) Adding similar categories to the Spring and Fall Sprints. (Club sponsors, are you listening?) 2.) Creating state-wide contests, perhaps "nestled" inside larger ARRL events that awarded certificates by Zip Code. (Great idea, giving a lot more opportunity for small stations to be competitive) 3.) Perhaps adding an "FM Only Rover" and/or "Three Band Rover" category to encourage more rover activity.

I'll be looking forward to the results from this event eagerly. I even questioned what category I should enter in myself, perhaps FM or three band only---leaving my SSB/CW contacts to be counted only as a check log.

For a station operating with indoor antennas, it would be nice to feel like you were being competitive with someone besides just yourself.

I'm even thinking of trying to add a longer vertical beam to the shack--currently FM is limited to four elements and 50 watts. Can't wait to see the logs.

*Les Rayburn, N1LF*
EM63nf
121 Mayfair Park Maylene, AL 35114
6M VUCC #1712
Grid Pirates #222
Life Member Central States VHF

WPC4LF Popular Communications Monitor ID