[VHFcontesting] Roving / Portable

To: "(Radio) VHF Contesting" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Roving / Portable
From: "Mike (KA5CVH) Urich" <mike@ka5cvh.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 15:30:30 -0500
So I have the bug to get back into contesting and I really like to
operate portable / rover.  So I am trying to get ready for the Sept
ARRL contest.  I might make a trial run to test things during the July
CQ VHF WW contest.  The rig I am going to use for starters is my old
FT-100.  I will be running barefoot as amps are not in the budget
right now.   I have two options for 6 meter antennas and I am OK
there.   However I feel the need to invest in better 144/432
antenna(s) as all I have for a portable / rover is a Cushcraft
A270-10S.  I was thinking about the KMA 144-460 but they are out of
business now.  Now, I am not locked into an LPDA but for simplicity
like to stay to as few booms as possible.  So I have been searching
and found the Gulf Alpha 2M7 70CM10 for $230 both appears to be well
built and within the budget.  I also found that M2 has a LPDA
100-600VLP-16.  However the link to more info is broken.  I've
contacted them and asked them to send my the .pdf and price.  Are
there any other antenna options I should look at?

--
Mike Urich KA5CVH
http://ka5cvh.com

"My cars all run on recycled dinosaurs"