Re: [VHFcontesting] The VHF rules....what do we want??

To: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] The VHF rules....what do we want??
From: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 11:59:49 -0700
On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 11:35:55PM -0500, Zack Widup wrote:
> Good points. VHF contesting is nothing like HF contesting (except
> maybe for the occasional huge 6m opening). Also, VHF+ contests are
> primarily VHF weak-signal contests.

I am not sure I agree with this statement.

I do VHF contests. I do HF contests.

While HF contests do tend to have more signals on the bands than doing
a VHF contest here in Central Texas those signals are often very
weak. Indeed I would contend that if you are going to do well in an HF
contest you have to work more weak signals than others - often winning
is about who can work the most weak guys.

And they can be very slow events too. 10 meters, 160 meters etc. are
very much like doing a VHF contest many years.  Slow rates and very
weak signals coming in on very strange paths.  If you think VHF/UHF is
'hard' please come and do a 160 contest sometime.  Try to make some
long path contacts on 80 or 160.  Try to work some countries on
scatter paths on 10 and 15 meters during low or no sun spots.

When I do a VHF contest it doe snot feel mcuh differnt to me than
doing an HF contest - excpet that here in Texas we all share 144.200 -
but other than things like that it is just the same.  Calling CQ,
tuning the bands looking or a new station, moving stations to other
bands for the mults and contacts and moving the antennas around
looking for stations and openings.  Those are some of the things that
make contests fun - be they HF or VHF.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii@kkn.net