Re: [VHFcontesting] Yagiphobia, Confusion and Infusion

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Yagiphobia, Confusion and Infusion
From: Jack W6NF <vhfplus@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 19:31:18 -0500
On 9/17/2013 7:00 PM, John Geiger wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: <BEAMAR@aol.com>
This is a response to several posts. First off Yagis. There are some newer
people that seem to lean towards loops.

Why? What is the attraction of a loop over a yagi? Simple common sense should tell one that a larger antenna will perform better.

. On two occasions I tried to give one
of these guys a real 6M antenna. He turned me down, >because he knew his
160M loop was a much better  antenna.

Yeah, we have on of those types here as well. He instructed me one morning at the club breakfast as to how a G5RV will outperform a SteppIR yagi. You just give up with those types.

John AF5CC

The thing I have always been curious about is why folks *don't* stack four loops on 2-meters to get decent gain *and* an omni pattern. Total gain will be about 7-7.5dbd and can be nicely fed by a 4-port power divider. This would, of course, be for fixed operation only because of the physical size. This would compare with a modest yagi and you don't have the hassle of constantly rotating the antenna for fear of missing something.

If you get *really* ambitious you could stack 8 loops for 9+dbd gain. :>)

I know that ND2X used to run four stacked 432MHz KB6KQ loops in his mobile system.

--
Jack, W6NF/VE4
Shelley, K7MKL/VE4