Re: [VHFcontesting] Assistance in VHF Contesting...

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Assistance in VHF Contesting...
From: N2TEE <n2tee73@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 11:53:45 -0400
Appreciate your post since it consolidated a few items which I'd held off commenting on.

I am of the opinion that Call, Bands, and Operating mode(s) should be an allowed practice over APRS for all contest categories. APRS is radio which conforms to the narrative of dissenting against "non-Amateur Radio" resources. Don't advocate posting of specific frequencies. We're all grouped together in the low end of the band anyway, so S&P would be effective when pointed in the right direction.

If I'm headed to a local hilltop or mountain, I don't see why there should be a problem with "spotting" myself on APRS before leaving the house. Again, no frequencies; just telling the world where to point their antennas.

IMHO, instead of scattered information over multiple web sites and databases, APRS makes for a great centralized resource which is still radio. Coming up with an agreeable format for the message beacon would be a trivial matter.

For the contest managers on the reflector, would it be possible to get a off the record ruling on such a scheme? What flaws or concerns would you have with such an option?

73,
Joe N2TEE