[VHFcontesting] Announcements and "599"

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Announcements and "599"
From: Les Rayburn <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 09:39:54 -0500
I understand that exchanging grids is part of the skill involved in making a contact, and a required piece of information in most VHF/UHF contests. However, the same could be said of the requirement to exchange signal reports for HF contests.

We all know that even the weakest signal on HF during a contest receives a speedy "59" or "5NN" an on to the next contact. Obviously, no one is too concerned about required exchanges of information.

In the real world, most of us know 90% of the stations we're likely to work on 2 Meters or higher. We already know what grid they're in, so we're back to the honor system in terms of did you make the contact or not. It's also easy and quick to look up a given callsign on QRZ.com or other sources and determine their grid square.

I fully support Jay's position that callsign, frequency, and grid square information should be allowed to be announced for all stations in all modes. I'll SETTLE for Marshall's proposal that we allow announcing for digital mode contacts, in line with the CQ VHF rules, if that compromise helps the league see the light.

Also fully agree that we must all speak with one voice if we are to have any hope of convincing the league to change the rules. BTW, I also submitted my log for the September VHF Contest and I encourage everyone else to do so too. Hate to see us lose another contest due to lack of activity.

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
EM63nf

6M VUCC #1712
AMSAT #38965
Grid Bandits #222
Southeastern VHF Society
Central States VHF Society Life Member
Six Club #2484

Active on 6 Meters thru 1296, 10GHz & Light