[VHFcontesting] WZ1V Contest results

To: VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] WZ1V Contest results
From: "Ron Klimas WZ1V" <wz1v@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 05:19:55 -0500

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  426    97  Total Score = 61,692

Club: North East Weak Signal Group

Comments:

This was my first contest I've been able to operate since putting up a
tower at
my new QTH, so it was a good measure of what can and can't be worked. I
figure
I lost at least 10 dB moving from a high hilltop inland to near sea level at
the shore, plus running a bit less power on most bands. So it's kind of
interesting to discover it's still possible to make some distant contacts,
even
though the location is far from ideal. Some of my best contacts were to my
south
and southwest where I have an unobstructed shot across Long Island Sound.
It was
a nice surprise to work NG4C FM16 and KD8UD FM17 through 432. Also great
signals
from the WY3P FM27 group on 6, 2, 222, & 432. To the north and northwest I'm
blocked by hills, so not surprising I couldn't work any grids in western NY
with
the exception of K2LIM in FN12. It's amazing I can work anyone in those
directions, so what a surprise to hear VE2DFO FN25 with good signals on
both 2
and 432. My grid map was pretty much a straight NE to SW line, with little
worked to the east (ocean) or west. 1296 was a mixed bag, although the 50W
mast-mounted DEMI transverter works great, my results were a bit spotty.
Some
stations I should be able to work easily I cannot, yet others that look
difficult, I can. Best 1296 DX was K3TUF FN10, a bit over 200 miles. So the
prognosis is although it's doubtful I'll ever be able to make much of a
splash
score-wise in the VHF contests from here, it's still fun to get on the air.
I've really got to give a lot of credit to all the Rovers who went out in
the
wintry conditions. What a nice surprise to work N2SLN/R in FN23, and KJ1K/R
in
FN33 - two grids I normally never hear! Conditions on Saturday were
extremely
poor, with the noise level so high on 6 and 2, it was no wonder activity was
also poor. My apologies to those I missed hearing, and thanks to everyone
who
got on the air for this one. Like others have said, looking forward to
June!
-73, Ron WZ1V