[VHFcontesting] Trends in VHF/UHF Weak Signal Operating

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com, "vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu" <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Trends in VHF/UHF Weak Signal Operating
From: Les Rayburn <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2014 15:33:37 -0600
I've worked in advertising and marketing most of my adult life, so I often tend to view things as marketing problems. In the case of VHF/UHF weak signal operation, I certainly think that is a portion of the problem. When the VUCC Award was created, it resulted in a flurry of activity on the bands, expeditions to rare grids, and other activity. While it wasn't very successful in attracting newcomers to the band, it did give those already active incentive to increase their operations.

Fast forward almost thirty years, and the situation is reversed. Nearly everyone who wants to earn VUCC has already done so.

The league has failed to ever make VUCC anything more than the kid sister of DXCC. They've failed to add "variations" of the award such as 5 Band VUCC, or "Rover VUCC" that might encourage more activity. They've failed to offer merchandise in their store to build the VUCC "brand" among hams. Very few articles have been written in QST about the exploits of people trying to earn the award. (Not true in the early days, but certainly now)

In short, the ARRL has missed the opportunity to make VUCC a desirable accomplishment for most amateurs. And provide no incentive to earn the award on multiple bands, which is key to providing an incentive for operation on 902 and up. I've been trying to find time to author a paper for the VHF Conferences that would formally propose the creation of two new awards:

Five Band VUCC

A special award recognizing any amateur who earned VUCC on five bands or more including satellites. No rules changes, and only minor programming required to have LoTW track the award.

VUCC Rover
An award for any rover who worked the required number of grids for each band, while operating outside their "home" station grid. For example, you'd need to work 100 grids on 6 & 2 while operating outside your home grid. But only five to earn it on 10 GHz.

The key to making these awards successful would be to really market and promote them, especially in the pages of QST. While I'm not in favor of resetting everyone to zero, the league could offer a special incentive to anyone who works the necessary grids in the coming calendar year. Maybe plaques would be in order. I'm willing to sponsor ten of them, personally.

This would have the same effect of "resetting to zero" for anyone who wanted the plaques, while still allowing for those who have already earned 5 Band VUCC or Rover VUCC to receive the award.

While I applaud the efforts that many of us have made as individuals to increase activity, it's hard to imagine real change unless the ARRL gets behind the effort.

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
EM63nf

6M VUCC #1712
AMSAT #38965
Grid Bandits #222
Southeastern VHF Society
Central States VHF Society Life Member
Six Club #2484

Active on 6 Meters thru 1296, 10GHz & Light