[VHFcontesting] There's still time to register for CSVHFS 2014, but if y

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] There's still time to register for CSVHFS 2014, but if you can't come ...
From: " Jim Froemke" <jim.k0mhc@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 09:58:23 -0500
There is still time to register for the Central States VHF Conference in
Austin, Texas.  The conference is only two weeks away (7/24-27) and you know
what you'd really like to do is get out of town and have a nice visit with all
your Central States friends down in Texas.  Just imagine how fun it would be to
sit back on the Lone Star Riverboat, grab a beer or a margarita (yes, K5AND
will be bringing multiple gallons of margaritas) and have a nice chat about how
awful HF propagation will be as we exit the sunspot cycle and how VHF
propagation will not suffer the same fate!  We've arranged over one million
bats to share in your conversation and wish us well with propagation
conditions.  They will also eat up all the insects so you can have an
insect-free boat trip!

Your friends will miss you if you don't come, but you'll also be missing out on
some great speakers -- Gerald Youngblood, K5SDR, President and CEO of FlexRadio
Systems will be talking at the Friday luncheon about noise.  Over the last
several years designing he has performed a great deal of research into noise on
the bands, noise in radio systems, and how best to measure radio performance to
more closely understand how radio designs respond to noise.  You will hear
interesting and surprising facts about noise along with some true, but very
counter-intuitive ways that radio settings can adversely affect noise.

Jim Klitzing, W6PQL, will be flying in from the Bay Area in California to share
his insights into electronic design and high power amplifiers.  Jim has been
supplying the amateur world with high power amplifier boards and filters and
excellent advice on building a VHF and microwave stations.  Jim will be talking
about RF components and important information that both designers and operators
should know.

Our banquet speaker is Jimmy Treybig, W6JKV.  Jimmy founded and was the CEO of
Tandem Computers, a Silicon Valley manufacturer of fault tolerant computers.
Tandem delivered its first product in 1975, went public in 1977, was ranked by
Inc Magazine as the fastest growing public company in 1980, and was on the
Fortune 500 list of largest companies in 1984. Jimmy retired in 1996 when
Tandem was a $2.3 Billion company with 8000 people worldwide. Today Tandem is
part of HP.  Jimmy has done over SEVENTY six and two-meter DXpeditions to over
50 countries.  Jimmy will be sharing his perspectives on family and DXpeditions.

Of course we have a whole cadre of technical speakers for the conference
including: K0MHC, W0ZQ, N6NB, WA5VJB, K5TRA, K4SME, W4ZST, N5YC, K6MIO, K5AND
and W6PQL.

So c'mon and register and come down to Texas and have some fun with us --

http://www.csvhfs.org/2014conference/2014Registration.html

We'll have a good time even if you don't come, but it would be better if you
were here with us!

We know sometimes life gets in the way and maybe you can't make it this year...
 We'll miss you, but you can still get a copy of the proceedings to read all
the excellent papers our authors have written for you.  We have the proceedings
in hand and would be glad to mail you a copy -- to get yours, just use the
registration link above, but deselect conference registration and instead
select "Extra Proceedings (deliver to home)."  We'll drop your copy right in
the mail!

73, Steve Hicks​ ​, N5AC

2014 CSVHFS President​

Be sure to join us at the 48th Annual CSVHF Conference on July 24-27 in Austin,
TX. Visit  <http://www.csvhfs.org> www.csvhfs.org for more information.