Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF contest tips, tricks, and techniques

To: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>, VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VHF contest tips, tricks, and techniques
From: Curtis Roseman <croseman@usc.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 21:12:01 +0000
This is not a new secret to success, but some who are new to VHF contesting may
not realize how important cw is to success in VHF contests, especially for
those of us in more remote locations and/or running low power or QRP.  Like
Zack, I run QRP in most contests and I am not located in a densely populated
area.  CW is especially important on UHF and higher frequency bands, but is it
is also quite important on 6 meters.  In most contests a lot of cw can be found
just below 50.100.  Really big guns can probably get by without going down
there (although many of them do), but little guns like me depend on making cw
Qs on 6.  And, I too sometimes call big guns on cw [on any VHF/UHF band] when
they are running SSB, and especially when they are not too strong.  Most of the
good operators come back.  And by the way, if you want to work DX on 6 meters,
you will miss a lot by not using cw.

I am not a cw snob.  It is ok with me to have many licensed hams who do not
know or use cw--in particular because many of them have much greater expertise
than I in other areas of ham radio.  But if you want real success in VHF
contesting, cw is a necessity.

Curt Roseman  k9aks
Living in EN41, but operating also from many isolated locations