Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 mhz W6PO amplifier questions

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 mhz W6PO amplifier questions
From: Tom <k8tb@bosscher.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 21:41:05 -0500
Without any power, look at the return loss (swr) of the input. Use an antenna analyzer, connecting the input to the antenna port. Theoretically, you can do the same with the output circuitry, again, with the amp powered down. You should see the resonant spot. Many times, in FM broadcast rigs, they seem to tune up, but not nicely, and I find them to not be on frequency. I looked at a friends 1296 amp and found the tank to be resonant almost 200 Mhz away. Today we have relatively inexpensive test gear to look at this. See if both the input and output are resonant at 222 Mhz.

Tom, K8TB