Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 mhz W6PO amplifier questions

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 mhz W6PO amplifier questions
From: David Pruett <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 22:07:47 -0500
Mike,

You might have the amplifier loaded too heavily. Try reducing the loading slightly (plate current will drop) then adjust the plate tuning to peak your power output (which should occur at the plate current dip) Check the efficiency - if it improves you're likely moving in the right direction.

Also, take note of your drive level and grid current. Your drive level should be something like 50W, and grid current should be in the normal range (check the W6PO article for normal operating conditions). As you tune the plate tuning, the plate current should dip and the grid current should peak at the same position of the plate tuning. If your grid current is low and the tune peak is flat, you're probably loaded to heavily.

Under loading (too light) causes the grid current to run high, heavy loading keeps it down (a good thing to avoid damage to the tube grid). slight heavy loading at legal amateur power levels won't hurt the 8877 because of it's rugged plate, put excessively heavy loading can cause the inefficient condition you describe.

I have one of the AntennaWorks 2M W6PO-style amps and found that the above tuning recommendations worked pretty well.

73, Dave/K8CC