[VHFcontesting] VHF+ Contesting Rule Changes

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, hwardsil@gmail.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] VHF+ Contesting Rule Changes
From: James Duffey <jamesduffey@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2015 10:37:41 -0700
Thanks Ward for the clarification. To me, at least, this points out what a
convoluted path ARRL contest rules changes and implementation take from
inception to implementation. It is no wonder people get a bit confused during
the process, particularly if it is drawn out as how this one has been. We have
all seen the High School Civics posters on “How a Bill becomes Law”. It would
be nice to see something similar for how a rule becomes changed or implemented
in an ARRL contest.

I still have a big concern about the new rules as there is no definition of
assistance in the new rules. I suspect that the restriction in the ARRL General
rules:

        • 3.14. In contests where spotting nets are permissible, spotting your
own station or requesting another station to spot you is not permitted.

is the only assistance guideline that applies. So all forms of assistance
appear to apply except for self spotting.  It is clear that the ARRL General
Rules for ARRL Contests Above 50 MHz has not been updated to reflect assistance
in the January contest. That will cause some confusion.

Without any guidance, I suspect that most participants will assume that the
most liberal application of assistance applies. If left to one’s own judgement
there will be a lot of differing implementations, which will leave people
competing in the same class with different rules.

As you say, the timing of the rules changes could have been better. Not only is
the lead time short, it seems to me that implementing these rules now will
cause confusion with what the Ad-Hoc committee is doing, recommending, or has
done. - Duffey KK6MC