Re: [VHFcontesting] Let's make the contests do what they were supposed t

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Let's make the contests do what they were supposed to do
From: James Duffey <jamesduffey@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2015 15:51:13 -0700
Pete - Are you asking this because you operate as a rover in motion in a single
grid? If your rover operation is fixed, you can enter as a single op as things
are. If you operate in motion or as a mobile, I agree, there is no category for
you to enter.

One form of operation that is not handled well in the rules, either the old
ones, the new ones, or the current set proposed by the Ad-Hoc committee, is
mobile operation in a single grid. The guy that goes mobile and stays in a
single grid to hand out QSOes does not have a category to enter. He cannot
enter as a rover because he only operates in a single grid, he can’t enter as a
single op as his station has moved outside the 500 meter circle. To me, this
seems like a big omission, particularly as there seems to be an effort by the
ARRL to get FMers involved in VHF+ contesting.

Anyway, although this forum is a good place to bounce ideas from, and to vent
frustrations, you should also let your specific desires for rules changes be
known to the Ad-Hoc committee, your ARRL Director, and the PSC members.

I think the easiest way to allow mobiles to enter is to redefine the single op
location rule. I have made that suggestion to the committee. - Duffey KK6MC