Re: [VHFcontesting] Let's make the contests do what they were supposed t

To: jamesduffey@comcast.net, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Let's make the contests do what they were supposed to do
From: peter h via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2015 21:49:30 -0500
SEE MY COMMENTS BELOW de N6ZE:

-----Original Message-----
From: James Duffey <jamesduffey@comcast.net>
To: vhfcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Cc: James Duffey <jamesduffey@comcast.net>
Sent: Sat, Jan 3, 2015 10:51 pm
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Let's make the contests do what they were supposed
to do

Pete - Are you asking this because you operate as a rover in motion in a single
grid? SOMETIMES I OPERATE AS ROVER IN 2 GRIDS e.g. DM04 & CM94, but
occasionally no QSOs occur from from CM94. If your rover operation is fixed,
you can enter as a single op as things
are. If you operate in motion or as a mobile, I agree, there is no category for
you to enter. I AGREE WITH YOU.
IN MY AREA, DM04, THERE ARE ABOUT 6 DISTINCT MOUNTAIN RANGES TO IMPEDE VHF/UHF
COMMUNICATIONS PATHS.
TO WORK SPECIFIC STATIONS IT IS FREQUENTLY NECESSARY TO MOVE TO ADDITIONAL
LOCATIONS WITHIN THE SAME GRID.

One form of operation that is not handled well in the rules, either the old
ones, the new ones, or the current set proposed by the Ad-Hoc committee, is
mobile operation in a single grid. The guy that goes mobile and stays in a
single grid to hand out QSOes does not have a category to enter. He cannot
enter
as a rover because he only operates in a single grid, he can’t enter as a
single
op as his station has moved outside the 500 meter circle. To me, this seems
like
a big omission, particularly as there seems to be an effort by the ARRL to get
FMers involved in VHF+ contesting.

Anyway, although this forum is a good place to bounce ideas from, and to vent
frustrations, you should also let your specific desires for rules changes be
known to the Ad-Hoc committee, your ARRL Director, and the PSC members. AT
LEAST ONE ARRL ELECTED OFFICIAL,
WITH SIGNIFICANT VHF/UHF INTERESTS, IS AWARE OF THE PROBLEM & HAS PUSHED FOR
CHANGES.

I think the easiest way to allow mobiles to enter is to redefine the single op
location rule. I have made that suggestion to the committee. - Duffey KK6MC

On Jan 3, 2015, at 12:50 PM, vhfcontesting-request@contesting.com wrote:

> My only modification would be to permit an entry as a Rover, even if only
> QSOs
are made from one grid. Out here in the West, it is not always possible to make
QSOs from 2 different grids, even though serious attempts have been made from
more than 1 grid. Single Op, Multi Op, QRP, etc do not cover a Rover who only
accomplishes QSOs from 1 grid.