Re: [VHFcontesting] Yaesu FT100D problem on 6m

To: "John Geiger" <af5cc@fidmail.com>, <gmitch@iowatelecom.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Yaesu FT100D problem on 6m
From: "Dave Olean" <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 16:50:56 -0000
John,
No one seems to have direct knowlege of what is actually wrong. I suspect that you need to find the SWR sensing circuit and follow the rf path to the output fitting. It must be a significant length on 50 MHz at least to ruin the 50 ohm path. The way to find it is to inject a signal with a SWR bridge and sig gen right at the SWR circuit board and look towards the output connector. You can see what the SWR is with a 50 ohm load in the connector. Poke and prod to find what is making the SWR bad. An antenna analyzer would work ala MFJ or Rig Expert. I have a homemade bridge that is good to about 500 MHz along with a signal generator (with 1000 Hz tone) and an HP 415E SWR indicator. It would work swell for this too. Otherwise, you have to rely on your own lyin' eyes. I am thinking that a poor or missing ground might allow a part of the circuit to lift and act as a tuning stub and ruin the nice 50 ohm path. I wonder if there is any filtering after the SWR circuit. It could be flakey. Without a schematic or seeing it, it would be hard to guess.

Dave K1WHS
----- Original Message ----- From: "John Geiger" <af5cc@fidmail.com>