Re: [VHFcontesting] GPS Receivers and grid squares

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] GPS Receivers and grid squares
From: "Dave Olean" <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 14:12:55 -0500
Man I got a pile of answers on the GPS question. Unfortunately, I was looking
to get a good modern (current) handheld for being in the woods. My camp up
north is surrounded by pretty wild  country and I could really use a good
handheld GPS. It is very easy to get lost there. The woods are so thick that a
handheld compass has plenty of trouble since landmarks cannot be seen very
well.  Also, being 70 years old, my eyesight is not so great and I need a good
display. The older units don’t really look like they will cut the mustard, so I
was hoping to find a newer unit with a better display. I do not have a smart
phone, and one of my goals in life is to never ever have a smart phone.
    I really appreciate all the comments and suggestions. I can’t thank
everybody with a personal message, but I want everyone to know that I
appreciate all the input.  A great group of folks on this reflector for sure.
73
Dave K1WHS