Re: [VHFcontesting] Reverse Beacon Network (RBN) on VHF

To: Phil Theis <phil@k3tuf.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Reverse Beacon Network (RBN) on VHF
From: Michael Clarson <wv2zow@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 10:12:25 -0400
Phil and all: I've operated CQ WW VHF with N1MM (+ from now on) using
spotting networks, and some limited skimmers. Problem is they don't get
used much, especially above 6 meters. Spotting is great, if people spot.
Toward the end of the contest when most of the QSOs have been made, there
are very few spots. Spots also help so you know that you already worked a
station -- one does not need to wait for an ID. But skimmers and the RBN?
They work all the time. With the right filters on, one can see what they
are likely to hear at their own station. Plus, if you are on phone, send
out a CW CQ periodically and you will get spotted by the RBN. I think we
need more VHF RBN activity, especially above 6 meters. Great tools.
Suggestion for those that have not used spotting on VHF: Set up your
favorite logger with spotting (RBN too) during an HF contest so one can see
how it works. --Mike, WV2ZZOW