Re: [VHFcontesting] Assistance in the VHF contest

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Assistance in the VHF contest
From: Keith Morehouse <w9rm@calmesapartners.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 17:57:59 -0600
On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 5:34 PM, James Duffey <jamesduffey@comcast.net> wrote:

> I agree with you that having the grid in the spot makes the QSO easier,
> probably will be abused, and I told the Ad Hoc committee
> as much in my input to them.  I hope you did the same. They chose not to use
> that input in their rule making.

Only for Rovers.

There are all sorts of databases from which grids can be obtained.
ON4KST chat and DXMaps both maintain automatic grid look-up databases
and there is always QRZ.COM.  Everybody already knows what grid the
vast majority of fixed stations are in, so including the grid in a
self-spot is pretty much redundant.

They could have denied spotting to Rovers.  They could modify the VHF
exchange to include 'previously unknown' information, like
Sweepstakes...

If I was Roving, I'd WANT people to know what grid I was in so
antennas could be turned and Q's could be made.

Jay W9RM DM58xn