[VHFcontesting] Running a big enough station for portable operations....

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Running a big enough station for portable operations....
From: Marshall-K5QE <k5qe@k5qe.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 22:25:27 -0500
Hello everyone interested in 6M for portable operation.....

I have done several different 6M portable operations to rare grids. The difference between a station running a 3el beam and 100W and a station running 5 or 7 el and 1KW or 1500W is just HUGE. We ran a 7el M2 and either 1KW or 1500W(when we were running EME--yes we ran EME off a boat!!) and we worked 1500+ stations in 3 1/2 days. You just don't get that with a 3el and 100W, I don't care how nice the propagation is.

The reverse is also true. Fixed stations running a 3el and 100W are about 15db down from a 7el and 1500W. 15db down is a LOT!! There are many MS and tropo contacts that are lost because stations are not running sufficient ERP(power + antenna)....never mind EME contacts. I know that you can make contacts with 100W and a 3el, because there are hundreds of them made every season. But you will make a lot MORE with more goo.

One of the things that I "preach" to operators contemplating portable type operations is that you need to be sure that you have plenty of station for what you are trying to do. Some guys catch on and some don't......

There are numerous solid state 6M amps running around nowadays that will give you 1KW+ output...get one of those.....

73 Marshall K5QE