Re: [VHFcontesting] New to VHF/UHF Contesting: Next Steps

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] New to VHF/UHF Contesting: Next Steps
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2016 15:43:35 -0500
Something to consider: The dominant big openings on 6m in the June and July
contests are by Es. Es is a finicky thing - it usually doesn't make it up
to 144 MHz and above. The QSO's are over greater distances - usually I'll
work a lot of people in Texas, Colorado, the southeast USA and the
Caribbean from central Illinois during 6m Es openings. Usually nothing
close. On the other hand, most of my 144 MHz QSO's are out to about 250
miles and a lesser percentage beyond that. These are by tropo openings, a
different phenomenon than Es.  I have noticed a phenomenon - when 6m Es
openings get as close as a hundred miles, it is likely that the Es opening
has made it up to 144 MHz. But that's rare.

So the 6m QSO's I make are mutually exclusive of the 144 MHz and up QSO's I
make except for the ground-wave 6m stations, which there are much fewer of.

73, Zack W9SZ

On Sat, Apr 2, 2016 at 1:20 PM, James Duffey <jamesduffey@comcast.net>
wrote:

> John - You have gotten good advice here. Now that I understand you want to
> have a dominant station in the FM category, I see the situation more
> clearly. Some more comments based on the new information:
>
> I propose this as a good strategy for getting the SSB/CW stations to work
> you on FM. If you can’t get them, as you experienced the pickings among the
> FM only guys is slim.
>
> At least for contests where 6M is not open this is what I would do:
>
> Get a 2M rig capable of SSB.
>
> Make initial contact on 2M SSB. Everyone will want to move you to other
> bands, so tell them you have FM and can do 222, 432, and 6. Have a
> frequency chosen to QSY to in advance. Pick one of the less commonly used
> simplex frequencies as there may be other guys on FM.
>
> Go to 222MHz and 432MHz first, then 6M. That way you get the higher point
> QSOes first if something goes wrong and you lose contact with each other.
> Before you QSY, ask if anyone else is on frequency and wants to QSY. Not
> sure when it is best to ask them to go to 2M FM, either after you first
> make contact on 2M or after you have run the other bands. You will learn.
> You are inconveniencing some ops by asking for two QSOes on 2M, but I would
> think that most guys would do it, particularly if you are giving them QSOes
> and points on other bands.
>
> When 6M is open, this won’t work as well because people will want to spend
> more time on 6M when it is open, but you can try.
>
> Also, I think that there are probably considerations in rig choice that
> are more important than sensitivity, and ease of operation is, I think most
> important. Try before you buy.
>
> In addition to the rigs you list, I would also suggest looking for a good
> used IC-746 (either pro or non pro editions) which does 100W on both 6M and
> 2M, CW/SSB/FM.
>
> Keep us in formed as to what you end up doing. - Duffey KK6MC

No
threats detected. www.avast.com
<#DDB4FAA8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>