Re: [VHFcontesting] New to VHF/UHF Contesting: Next Steps

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] New to VHF/UHF Contesting: Next Steps
From: Bob K0NR - email list <list@k0nr.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2016 08:27:24 -0600
John,
Typically, I was operating Single Operator, Portable (AKA QRP). I'd work other stations on 2m ssb, 6m ssb, 70cm ssb, depending on what bands they had. Most of the folks in my area that have 222 MHz are set up for ssb, often with some very nice yagi antennas. So we'd pick a 222 MHz frequency and work there on FM with horizontal antennas. Sometimes it was low in the band to accommodate their station but often we'd just use 223.5 MHz. Occasionally, I'd run across a vertically polarized 222 MHz FM station and would work them with the horizontal antenna (or I'd dig out some kind of vertical to put on the handheld).

Bob K0NR