[VHFcontesting] ARRL UHF Thoughts

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] ARRL UHF Thoughts
From: Jarred Jackson <Jarred.Jackson@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 12:15:41 +0000
Very few of the proposed rules changes appear to align with my comments from
last year.  However there are a few things I like about the proposed rules (I
will hold all negative comments and criticism for the committee)

The proposed rules make this a very different kind of contest, which I like.
This makes this a unique style of contest within the ARRL lineup. It requires a
different strategy and encourages me to build a better station and find better
locations that are a but farther away. I will have no problem giving up former
strategies that leveraged short range contacts to add multipliers. I had a
taste of a similar style of contest with 10GHz last year. I enjoyed it.

I like the concept of team competition. There are typically a handful of people
I coordinate with anyway.  This aspect has the potential to encourage us to
work together even more and plan ahead (for me, this would be fun if we had at
least 2 or 3 teams participating and nothing discouraged us from supporting
each other).

Re-allocating into regions also adds a different element to the contest.
Putting WNY and VE3 in the same region makes a lot of sense since we often talk
across the lake. Again, doing something different makes it interesting to me.

I like allowing rovers to also participate in multi-op stations. It was not
clear to me that this was allowed before. If the rovers can also make contacts
with the multi-op, I can see myself trying this.

I contest for the fun and challenge of it. Almost all of my activity is in the
rover category and I am a relative newcomer having started roving in just 2014.
Competing with other good stations is important to me, but winning is not.
Assuming a few of the kinks in the proposal get worked out, I will participate
and hope you will too.

Jarred - KF2MR (50-3456+10G)