[VHFcontesting] HSMM for microwave contesting?

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] HSMM for microwave contesting?
From: Patrick Thomas <p-thomas@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 13:25:23 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
For us poor people who can't afford lots of transverters (and aren't quite
smart enough to tear down satellite gear from Ebay), I have been thinking of
repurposing a wireless access point for raw
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed_multimedia_radio for 13cm and maybe
even 5cm if I can find the gear to do it.

Has anyone found any success with this in the past?  And what might a QSO
consist of?  Leave DHCP on and ping the other station with a packet sniffer
turned on?  Some kind of firmware-based application for the router if one
doesn't already exist?

Opportunities abound. :)

But if time is money, maybe the transverters would be a better way to go. :)

Just curious if anyone has considered this.  The web was not very useful for
discovering prior work.

 - Patrick / KB8DGC