Re: [VHFcontesting] HSMM for microwave contesting?

To: Patrick Thomas <p-thomas@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] HSMM for microwave contesting?
From: Mark Spencer <mark@alignedsolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 13:31:06 -0700
Hi Patrick.   Yes I have briefly considered this in the past.

My preferred approach would be to use the SSID field (which IIRC can be up 31
or 32 characters long ? but should be long enough for a basic Cq and contest
exchange ?) to send short messages that could be seen by everyone on the
"channel" who was within range.

Intuitively this seems better to me than a connection oriented approach, if the
goal is to make typical contest style Qso's and solicit random contacts.

I've never tried this so there may well be a flaw with this approach, but I
suspect if one were to use access points that had an easy to use User interface
that allowed for quick changes to the SSID message, and that also provided for
a "client mode" that allowed you to see SSID broadcasts from other access
points this approach might "kind of sort of" work.  Transitioning between "TX"
and "RX" would likely be a bit awkward.

All that being said at this point I'd just as soon put my energy into getting
more local hams to use 146.52 and 446.0 FM during contests, but if anyone in or
around CN89 wants to try this out some day let me know.

I suspect the practical range for random contacts would likely be fairly short.

73
Mark S
VE7AFZ
Sent from my iPhone