Re: [VHFcontesting] rover /r

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] rover /r
From: Roger Rehr W3SZ <w3sz73@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 13:45:07 -0400
Hi Alan,

The /R serves a number of purposes:

1. It alerts other stations that the /R may be going to other grids. This can be watched for / queried.

2. It alerts fixed stations that they need to pay attention to this station as it may be in a rare grid.

3. It alerts fixed stations that the station in question may not be available for very long.

4. It makes writing software that correctly allocates dupes or valid contacts for both rovers and fixed stations much easier.

5. VHF contests allow a station to submit both a fixed entry e.g. from home and a rover entry. Its hard to have this work without providing a simple on-the-air discriminator, such as "/R".

I find having the rover sign "/R" extraordinarily useful and consider its use to be a major "plus". I pay special attention when I hear the "/R" as I am tuning the band. I am sure there are many other positives for using it. But these pop immediately to mind.

Eliminating the "/R" would not be wise.

73,

Roger Rehr W3SZ