Re: [VHFcontesting] Type N bulkhead/passthrough

To: vhf contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Type N bulkhead/passthrough
From: Peter Laws <plaws0@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 11:29:58 -0500
On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 11:11 AM, Ron Rogers <ww8rr@charter.net> wrote:
> The less connectors and adapters you use, the better off you will be.

Of course.  As it is, I'm "saving" a connector because I found out
that A-D makes a Transitrap with Type Ns where one is female and the
other male.  For my HF stuff, it's PL-259 -> double SO-239 Transitrap
-> double PL-259 -> double SO-239 bulhead -> jumper -> radio.  Once I
settle on which N passthrough, I can now skip the double male and at
432 and above, that actually means something tangible.

I have not noticed any issues with condensation on the SO-239
pass-throughs though I'd never actually considered it.  The outside is
covered in RTV so moisture would have a tough time getting through to
the inside of the connector but cold air would be carried in through
the whole thing.  Since there is no RTV on the inside connector,
that's a potential place for inside warm air to get in and then
condense.  Hmm.  I'll need to give that some thought.  Given how often
I operate, the inside connection is open to room air >90% of the time.