Re: [VHFcontesting] Loop Yagi theory

To: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>, VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Loop Yagi theory
From: Bill Olson <callbill@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 19:24:43 +0000
yeah, like a "cubical quad", which is a full wave loop element .. what makes it
different from the HF quad you normally think of is that all the low impedance
points are all tied together to ground (the boom)..

you could also think of it as a big fat folded dipole..

back in the original Down East Microwave days I *had* experimented with
floating the elements and feeding it in both planes out of phase to actually
get circular polarization, but the whole thing got pretty messy and I gave up
on that.. There WAS some interest for satellite work..

Anyway with the manufactured antennas you get these days, with the semi-rigid
feedline that goes through the driven element vertical the polarization is
horizontal and vice versa.. always linear though..

bill