Re: [VHFcontesting] Transverter for 446 FM

To: "'Mike \(KA5CVH\) Urich'" <mike@ka5cvh.com>, "'VHF Contesting'" <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Transverter for 446 FM
From: "Bill Rogers - K2TER" <k2ter@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 09:04:40 -0500
Mike et al,

We currently have one of our FT-736Rs performing that function (446 FM)
dedicated rig. We always keep this 4 band unit in the rover just in case...

We find that we do flurries of mixed operating SSB/CW and FM at the same time
and don't want to take the time to do manual band and mode changes in N1MM+ -
or forget to :). This also allows us to operate with our phones/mic on all the
time. So it is easier to let the computer control all that - at least for us.
Click a button on the HPSDR UI and you are on 144SSB/CW  or 223.5FM or
223.1SSB/CW or ... and the logging program switches automatically (N1MM+).  One
less thing to worry about makes a difference. That's why it's worth it to me to
dedicate a transverter per FM band to achieve that.

We run two ANAN-10s one for each operator - one for 6M SSB/CW and uwaves and
one for 2M-70cm SSB/CW and 6-446 FM - less the 446 at the moment :).  This
seems to be the right formula for us to balance the operating load.

Aside: One interesting thing about that is with networked SDRs the HPSDR
program will grab on to whatever's on the network, even if it's not the one
it's configured for.  So we have to power up and be mindful of which rig we are
controlling. I'm sure there a solution but haven't spent any brain power on it
yet.

I hear inklings that other rovers are also making this transition to SDR IF.
I'd be interested to hear some experiences and realizations.  I've been roving
since '98 and have gone through a number of "extreme makeovers", this is almost
as fun as operating to me. This seems to be the right approach for operation,
integration and ease of use.

I also have an ANAN-200D for my HF operations.  I have parked my Kenwoods and
sold my Mark V Field.  Same interface - I just click a band and my antennas,
diversity receive antennas, logging program, amps get setup automatically.

Cheers,
Bill
K2TER