Re: [VHFcontesting] Yagis on masts

To: p-thomas@mindspring.com, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Yagis on masts
From: John Young via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 23:59:58 -0500
Patrick,

I am facing a similar problem with my mobile "fixed site" set up
(https://www.qrz.com/db/KM4KMU).  Scroll to bottom for set up (less 6M).
Three 12 foot boom Yagi's (2M, 1.25M, 70cm) and a 6 foot boom 3 element 6m yagi
on a 15 foot fold over mast.  I have done a bunch of loads and stress analysis
(BS Aerospace) and came to reliable solution for winds up to 100mph.  I hope to
have the rig (Jeep) ready to go by the January contest.

The guy set up is he most critical part. I think what Rohn is most concerned
about is the long column buckling caused by the VERTICAL load of the guys on
the mast coupled with the BENDING load (torque) induced by the wind that
induces a moment into the mast.  The two in combination are deadly to a long
thin mast structures.  The higher you can put the guy lines (close to the cross
arm or antenna) the lower the bending load.  Small diameter tubing is very
strong in compression but it will buckle quickly with a torque applied (bending
not twisting).

I suggest one or two intermediate guy lines to restrain the buckling and
keeping the top guy set as close to the cross arm or antenna as possible to
minimize the bending torque applied.  Being able to lower the mast quickly if
winds get scary is very very helpful.  Most weather fronts pass quickly (30 min
to a couple hours). Getting the mast down fast when winds pick up and then back
up fast to maximize operating time is worth the effort.

John
KM4KMU