Re: [VHFcontesting] Maidenhead grid locating for Rovers

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Maidenhead grid locating for Rovers
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2017 09:12:58 -0500
There are many phone apps which display Maidenhead grid info. They are
free. I think one I'm using is "HamGPS." It displays the grid coordinates
to 10 characters. I believe this is the program that also displays bearing
and distance from your current location to another grid if you enter it.

I also have a Garmin eTrex. It shows grids to 6 characters.

73, Zack W9SZ

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 8:52 AM, Mark Spencer <mark@alignedsolutions.com>
wrote:

> Hi.  I'm just curious how other rovers are determining their Maidenhead
> grid locations while roving.
>
> I'm delivering a presentation on VHF contesting and would like to be able
> to make some recommendations on simple ways rovers can easily determine
> their Maidenhead grid locations.  Another local ham also asked me about
> this during the microwave sprint which requires the use of six character
> grids.
>
> I'm fortunate that I own a hand held GPS that has the ability to display
> Maidenhead grids (I'm told this is a fairly rare feature) and I also
> previously down loaded a program for my IPhone called "hamLocator" which
> works very well for me but appears to be no longer available (at least in
> Canada.)  As a result I believe neither of the options I use are really
> viable for many hams.   I recall looking at other iPhone apps in the past
> that didn't seem to work as well for me as hamLocator did.
>
> Thanks in advance for any comments.
>
> Mark S
> VE7AFZ
>
> mark@alignedsolutions.com