Re: [VHFcontesting] Kenwood TV-506

To: <vhfcontesting@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Kenwood TV-506
From: "Michael Sapp" <wa3tts@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 12:49:28 -0400
> Has any one used one of these not on a 820 that it was made for? I > picked up a nice one (no cable) and was going to see how it worked with > my K2. Any hints? Thanks Mike

Mike: I recall W3KWH Steel City ARC had the TV-506 and TV-502 pair in the late 1980s. They seemed to work reasonably well although I recall we had to replace the first dual-gate FET in the receive converter a few times from static discharge damage.

It is old enough to treat it like an AA5 radio and check all the larger value (.01 & up) ceramic disc bypass caps with an in-circuit ESR meter. (Electrolytics as well.) Some of the lower cost ESR meters will not measure above 100 ohms at 100kHz, (.01uf around 150 ohms @ 100kHz) but a basic DC test value with on ohm meter under 10M-ohm for a ceramic disc cap I would definitely replace....seems like .1uF and up C values tend to degrade faster than the smaller values. I would think a more common DC test value on a disc cap should be 100M-ohm to 500M-ohm or more. Silver Mica caps seem to act opposite at times, small value pf values sometimes fail with their small surface area per volt....

Try not to jam the tuning slugs, a drop of telfon or silicone oil on the core perimeter would not hurt if you absolutely feel the need to tweak them.

Thanks for the flashback memory ~:)

73, Mike wa3tts