Re: [VHFcontesting] September VHF contest

To: Nick Pick <nicolasgagnon@hotmail.fr>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] September VHF contest
From: Sean Waite <waisean@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 20:35:49 +0000

We use one of the Ukranian 222MHz transverters (
http://transverters-store.com/). Inexpensive, 29MHz IF, about 8W out. It's
slightly off frequency, but by a predictable amount. We ended up getting a
Radio Shack HTX-10 to drive it, there was too much of a risk of "oopsing"
and putting 100W from the IC-7000 we use on that station into the
transverter and letting the smoke out. For an antenna, we picked up one
from Directive Systems.

I've got a pair of 100Ah deep cycle batteries in the car during the rove.
We have 2 operators in the car, and are running 100W on 6 (IC-7000) and 2
(IC-746) with assorted extra current draw from the 70cm (FT-790RII) and
1.25 (HTX-10+xverter) radios. If we're both transmitting it's probably
somewhere around 45A draw, a little much for a single battery to be happy
with. I've thought about adding a solar panel, unsure if it's worth the
cost and additional hassle of setup in our situation. It may be more useful
if you're sitting for longer or have shorter drives.

It really is never ending. The handy places with high elevation are closed
in Winter in New England, so for January we're looking at a full run-n-gun
setup so that we just drive forever instead of stopping and setting up
beams. This is of course more stuff. Then we need to implement a pile of
other changes for the next September contest (June is a no-go for us,
unfortunately).

Maybe I'll get some equipment on the air for the 2m sprint next week, but
unlikely. I do need to test something with our mobile setup, so maybe.

Good luck and hope to make a contact someday,

Sean WA1TE