Re: [VHFcontesting] How to order

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] How to order
From: Keith Morehouse <w9rm@calmesapartners.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 09:44:49 -0700
...or they should count for MORE because they take so bloody long to make.

When the band is open well, I can make 4-5 QSOs per minute on SSB.  The
absolute MINIMUM time for a FT8 QSO is 45 seconds and, in reality, it will
take AT LEAST one more sequence.  Remember that during the next contest
sporadic E opening.  If you're contesting, you need to decide if your
competing or just screwing around.

I like FT8.  It's a wonderful mode for casual operation and copies signals
right on down to the absolute minimum that can be done on CW.  I used FT8
this last weekend on 2M to make at 4-5 QSOs - one of which was 455 miles
long (...in the mountain west....in January).  So, I think it has great
potential for weak signal contacts when one or the other party is rusty on
CW and I'm going to be quick to suggest it's use for those 250+ mile 2M and
up paths in 1/5 the time of a JT65 QSO.

But it's snail slow if the band is open.

Now, someone is going to comment on how many Qs were made on 50.313 this
weekend !  My response to that is: THINK about those Qs and realize how
many of them could have been made on SSB or CW in 1/5 the time.  Again,
when you're contesting, are you competing or screwing around ?

-W9RM

Keith J Morehouse
Managing Partner
Calmesa Partners G.P.