Re: [VHFcontesting] What separates a decent transverter from an awesome

To: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>, VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] What separates a decent transverter from an awesome transverter?
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 13:37:00 +0000

LO drift is a big problem. One of the underlying reasons for the results you have seen is the quality of the crystals that are being supplied to the transverter manufacturers. Parts that were tested and specified originally are showing up in later deliveries with just awful performance.  It is hard for small companies with small production runs to get anything resulting in repeatable characteristics without unmanageable lead times. Note that just about every US quartz crystal manufacturer is no longer in business.  I was given a small frequency counter as a Christmas present. After a few months, I noticed that the timebase had shifted by 4 kHz when measuring a signal at 2 MHz. I thought a jump like that was impossible with Quartz.  No telling what was left inside the crystal housing to cause it.  My suspicion is that it was the General Tso's Chicken option.  I just read the book _Crystal Clear. _It is the story about ramping up to produce crystals for WW2 radios and how the Govt and manufacturers did it.  There were many pitfalls to overcome and quality issues to address.  Almost all those companies are now gone.

73

Dave K1WHS