Re: [VHFcontesting] What separates a decent transverter from an awesome

To: "VHF Contesting" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "N1BUG" <paul@n1bug.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] What separates a decent transverter from an awesome transverter?
From: "Steve\(K1IIG\)" <stephen.tripp@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 14:11:51 -0400

Paul, Most of my xverters are Demi up to 10ghz and I like them for few reasons. They hold up well mounted topside, they are very stable with the Apollo board and support is excellent. The micro-lo does drift esp outside but the xtal control does have a plus, it is clean. All the synthesizers I have used are not and can cause havoc if you have close by ham neighbors. For that reason I do not run my 432 beacon with syn boards instead I am using a clean transceiver that seems to hold freq within 100hz. Of course you can spend some more $$ and go with a Kuhne but should it break it will take a long time to get fixed not to mention shipping charges. I just purchased a couple of transverters from the Transverter Store, http://transverters-store.com/ and would not recommend them. One was unusable and the other required a preamp. Both LO's were way off freq. The best I can say is they came in a nice enclosure. It is a cheap way to get on the air but you get what you pay for. Cheap price, Cheap product. Check out the complaint on the net, I should have. I would not put them in the decent category let alone the awesome one.

Before you spend more $$ I would talk with Steve at Demi and see if he has any suggestions.

73'
Steve

Steve,

I may have missed something last time I checked but it looked like
DEMI had options to cure drift in that manner for 450 MHz and down,
2.3 GHz and up, but nothing for 903/1296. The ZL2BKC board seems to
fill the gap. While the various phase locking solutions seem fairly
priced for what they do, it can be the straw that breaks the camel's
back for those who arguably shouldn't be contemplating these bands
in the first place. :-)

I decided my $25 crystal heaters probably can't do much for the
Micro-LO which is why I pushed the DEMI onto the more-or-less-reject
pile. Nothing against DEMI, just not a good option for me with that
much drift. It remains to be seen what I can do for the old UHF
Units but hopefully I can improve it somewhat.

73,
Paul