Re: [VHFcontesting] Very poor contest in FN55

To: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>, VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Very poor contest in FN55
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 15:01:00 +0000
Hi Mr. N1BUG!

   I know what you are saying about 144 MHz. That has always been my favorite band from the time I heard my first signal while standing on a branch in our apple tree. My brother and I were using a walki talki kit that had a 19" whip and a 3A5 in a super regen receiver. That was in 1961.  Lately 144 MHz has taken a big hit in activity.  Part of this is that the old crew of VHFers is dying off. These were the guys who made big antennas and homebrew KWs in an effort to push the limits and really learn about the propagation. Sam Harris was a prime example. Others were W4HHK, K2UK/ KH6UK, W8PT, W5RCI, K4IXC, W8KAY, W2AZL, and hundreds just like them.  They are all dead now and times have changed.  Add in the digital phenom and the band is not the same.  My hat is off to KA1ZE for keeping the flame alive.

I am quite upset about the FT8 situation.  I could be wrong, but it is looking like a race to the bottom as far as I can tell.  It is a way to play with no understanding of CW, so it opens up potential DX to those with none of the skills that make a good VHFer. The activity then attracts others because that is where the action is.  I am quickly losing interest in VHF with all the digital modes as it disconnects me from hearing the actual propagation. I lost EME and meteor scatter and now I am losing troposcatter.   I went to 160 meters in hopes of finding a new challenge, but FT-8 is taking over there as well.

I got two bands back up and running with help from AA1VL and K1BX. Art operated mostly on six. I made a few contacts on 144, and we did not do any digital mode activity at all. He was strictly CW and SSB and loved every minute of it. He lamented that many DX grids were only on FT8 and he was shut out  as a result. We did hook up an FT8 setup beforehand, and got it working but decided not to bother with it in the contest.

I am rapidly losing interest in VHF and it breaks my heart.

Dave K1WHS